Thursday, May 18, 2006

The Da Vinci Code is Here

It's so sureal. It's so stereotypical. I can't believe it's happening. While Dan Brown's fictional novel "The Da Vinci Code" is just that, a fictional novel, the soon breaking movie is attracting all kinds of attention. It seems to be affirming one thing loud and clear so I must ask the question, "Are American Christians against everything?"

Recently I saw a well-known and reputable Christian author and now attempted Christian television show host lambasting the book. Not only was he critical of the book's obvious spurious description of early Church history, but he even went so far as to get nit picky at how the book was written. He turned literature critic and told his audience that it was a badly written book. He asked why anyone would even want to read it since it was so bad. His comments smacked of being derogatory and sarcastic, hardly becoming of an international writer and author. Hal Linsey meant well, but I think he went a bit too far.

So there are two camps in Christianity right now. There are "the Da Vinci haters" who will protest the book, the movie and refuse to watch it. Not only will they refuse but they will chastise all those who would do such a thing. Then there are
"the Da Vinci hopers" that hope the high profile of the movie will bring about a national dialogue on Christian spirituality. So in what camp are you?

Since I am the world's foremost expert on my own opinion (and that's just my opinion), I thought I'd give you my opinion. I heard the talk. I then went and read the book. I am going to see the movie. This issue led me to do a five week discussion study with Velocity young adults on the issue. What we decided to do was take this culturally relevant topic and use it to our advantage as disciples. When we get a chance to discuss Christianity with anybody, why not take it? When we get a chance to offer an explanation of the truth about Christianity, why not do it?

The way I see it, if someone is actually considering having a faith in Jesus Christ, who are they more likely going to turn to, someone ranting about a fictional novel or someone who wants to intelligently listen and offer an explanation to their questions? I want to be a candidate for the latter. In the meantime, is protesting this book and movie going to spur anyone to even consider having a faith in our Savior or perhaps would reflecting the lifestyle of Jesus get the job done?

Just asking.

No comments: