Saturday, January 24, 2009

"Love"?

I was surfing the net and checking out some sites lately and came across a blog. The blog was from a pastor on a multi-staff church. The writer of the blog was sharing some great ways to love people and was sharing of one way in particular. Here's what he said, and I quote...

"One way we seek to love at (church) is through technology. Technology is simply a tool we offer to God to help us love others."

The context of this statement was the explanation of the use of computers at church kiosks to garnish personal information from visitors and attendees. He went on to say how it's a great way to stay in touch with and keep track of prospects and people that are in some way connected to the church.

Should this notion of love be accepted as loving or biblical?

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Jesus Christ

Jesus' form of loving people appears to be drastically different from what others may seem to think. While love can be packaged by some to mean gathering data, Jesus simply told us to treat people in the same manner we would want to be treated.


Love your neighbor as yourself.

Jesus Christ



Today my neighbor knocked on my door during our family dinner. It was minus 30 degrees Celsius (really cold!) and he needed a ride to do an errand. He presently has no car and his other buddy could not assist him. My response was to simply explain to my wife what he needed, excused myself and simply took him to where he needed to go.

I could have had him go to my computer and fill out his information, address, hobbies etc. and then get back to him later. No, I accepted the interuption as an opportunity to show love.

This is a new commandment that I give you, that you love one another.

Jesus Christ

So as our dear commrade in ministry writes about love, let not one of us forget what love really is by paying attention to what Jesus Christ himself said. Are computers wrong? Absolutely not. Can they serve a purpose? Absolutely yes. Is technology and its use what Jesus intended for us to employ to love people? I am not at all convinced at that.

The nitty gritty love that Christians are to abound in is the type that is face to face. It's the kind that causes interuptions to one's personal agenda. It's the kind that pulls a twenty out of your own pocket and helps someone out right then and there. Love causes us to hold our tongue when we want to "rip someone a new one." It is love that constrains the saints to be patient with the abbrasive people that come into contact with us on a daily basis. Simply put, love isn't some sterile, isolated, impersonal act. Let's just not be confused that's all.

Assistance in administration and tools for management are necessary organizationally. Love, well, that's just something that us people just ought to do.

Keep loving.

1 comment:

KarenP said...

Love (hehe) this post, Bob. I think this goes along with your post titled "We've never done it that way before". I totally agree with you here. Technology is a tool that can be very helpful to us but has nothing to do with showing someone the depth of the love that Jesus Christ has for them. I love my computer and how it helps me to stay so connected to people but it is not the same as a hug or a smile from someone.