Friday, November 04, 2005

Louis Farrakhan Said It Best

At Rosa Parks' funeral Louis Farrakhan spoke for several minutes honoring the great mother of the Civil Rights Movement. I did a double take because I understand that Louis Farrakhan is a Muslim but the words he was speaking was the truth of God.

He quoted the words of Jesus when he said, "If any man wants to be my disciple, he must first deny himself, take up his cross and follow me." Louis Farrakhan was telling everyone in the room that Rosa Parks did just that. She denied herself. She put herself secondary to the greater good of others. She picked up her cross. Louis Farrakhan went on to describe the cross as a symbol of sacrifice. It was also a symbol of rejection. Not only did Rosa Parks sacrifice, but she also was rejected.

The unique thing about the experience was that I felt like I was watching a TV preacher, you know, the kind in the southern churches that get what they call "preachy". He was passionate and deliberate in his words. He told the congregation that we are ready to sacrifice like Rosa Parks but stop when it gets uncomfortable. We don't want to be uncomfortable. We don't want to leave the nice things to accomplish the greater things.

Louis Farrakhan is a Muslim, a follower of the teachings of Mohammed. I am a follower of Christ so we know there are fundamental differences. However I believe that here in America, religious Christianity just got "schooled" by Louis Farrakhan. When it comes to being the real deal as a disciple, Louis Farrakhan said it best.

No comments: