Tuesday, December 06, 2005

I Went to Jail Yesterday

It's true. I was in jail. But it's not what you may think, you see, I was a visitor. I was there for an hour and a half and then I got to go home. The people I visited were young, some teenagers. Some were in gangs. Some stole some things. Some were busted for drugs. The point is they were there for a Bible study (they were believers) and I got to leave.

As I was there, and especially after I left, I felt a bit ashamed. After what I'm about to say, I hope all of us are ashamed a bit, at least those who claim to be Christians. I love Rick Warren and the Purpose-Driven Life. I read it twice. I think the Prayer of Jabez thing was cool. I have a copy of it somewhere. I think Joel Osteen and "Your Best Life Now" is a great idea. It's still on my shelf, haven't read it yet. So please don't misunderstand what I'm about to say. While many of us (me included!) are finding our purpose, getting our best life now and praying our little fad prayers to get all prospered and such, we (me included!) aren't focussing on living out the teachings of Jesus. Look at what Jesus said...

I was sick and you came to me.
I was in prison and you visited me.
I was thirsty and you gave me a drink.
I was hungry and you fed me.
I was naked and you clothed me.
When did we see you naked, hungry or in prison?

"When you have done it unto the least of these, you have done it unto me."

So let's get up to speed everybody. The world needs us and it isn't necessarily coming to church on Sunday! If we look at each of the things in the list above, it required something of the person doing the visiting or clothing or feeding. It required a bit of effort, time and perhaps even, money or resources.

I went to jail yesterday.

I am ashamed.

I need to start doing it unto the least a little more often. Anyone with me?

No comments: