Thursday, December 29, 2005

It's New Year's Resolution Time

I started working out at a gym a few weeks ago. I was gym shopping to see which one I liked. I finally chose one and signed on the dotted line. When I was chit chatting with the trainer doing my paper work, I asked him if it had been getting "busy". He told me "yes" it was picking up. He went on to say, "All the new year's resolution people. I've seen them before. It never lasts."

Whether I keep working out to achieve my fitness goals is my decision. Whether or not I follow through with the behaviors and create habits concerning physical training all hinges on whether or not I decide to keep doing it on a daily basis. This is much like following the teachings of Jesus.

The apostle Paul related discipleship to spiritual training. He talked about "running the race with patience". He talked about "gaining the prize" in the context of athletics. He even contrasted the importance of spiritual training over that of physical training. It is vital that believers today not just talk it but we must walk it. Jesus said, "If you love me you will keep my commandments". Lots of people do the religious weekly ritual of going to a church but do they really live out the teachings of Jesus Christ in their lives every day? If people who say they are God's people, i.e. "Christians", never follow through on their spirituality, no wonder there are people in our world who are skeptics about the faith. They've seen it all before. They know it will never last.

Instead of making a New Year's resolution to "be a better person" or to "read the Bible and pray more" or even to "get into shape", why not make a committment to living out the teachings of Jesus each day as opportunities present themselves? Perhaps that is what a lot of people have never seen before.

No comments: